Sunday, March 14, 2010

When God closes a door, he opens a dress.



Here’s the deal: I’m obsessed with 'Mad Men'....

However, it has come to my attention, that ‘Mad Men,’ is really, a “mans show.” For those of you that have never watched it before, it's a series on AMC telling the lives of a group of people who work at a NYC advertising company, set in the 1960s. In this particular series... affairs, smoking, drinking, and really just "boys being boys" attitude are the main themes. It is understandable how I would be rather repelled by the show’s stereotypical portrayal of women (most of them are secretaries, mistresses, or housewives who constantly get cheated on.)

But, most circumstance, I have often found myself praising and congratulating the main character Don Draper on his new affairs, ONLY disapproving of his MISTRESSES when I find them not worthy of becoming a notch on Mr. Draper’s bedpost.

However, one mistress I do approve of is Rachel Menken....


She is flawless, oozes elegance and grace, surprisingly independent, and the only women who Don truly confides in (well, at least, the closest he’s ever gotten to actually admitting that he has an entirely flawed emotional self somewhere among that cool exterior).

And because of this last reason, she has become my idol. Obviously, I admire women who can crack the charming, witty facade of an emotionally isolated existentialist. Because she’s on a TV show and not living in real life, Rachel is the very ultimate of everything I could ever want with my life. I also would have spent a day and a half in bed with a tousled, beautiful man with too many problems and a wife to go along with it, because as long as he said, “You’re the only one who knows me” at the end of it, I’d feel satisfied.

This might make me a masochist, but regardless of whatever the answer is, I just know that Rachel is completely identifiable, and that her outfits are almost as great as Audrey Hepburn in this same time period.

So instead hating the shows constant drinking, affairs, smoking, and sexual innuendos, I'm apparently a chauvinistic female pig....

All I really know is that drinking straight scotch or whiskey is now a spring goal of mine, and that I will still continually look up to Don’s extraordinary ability in the bedroom more than I'll ever admire his wife's cooking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment